History of 2nd Rondebosch
As one of the oldest scout troops on the continent, 2nd Rondebosch has a long and distinguished history spanning over a century. From humble beginnings, the troop has risen to be one of most famous and respected scout troops in the country.
Scouting first started in England in 1907, arriving in Cape Town in 1908. Initially the only troop in the Rondebosch area was 1st Rondebosch, which was a school troop connected to Diocesan College (Bishops) and was as such only available to boys at Bishops. Having read Baden Powell's now-famous articles on "Scouting for Boys", a Rondebosch Boys' High pupil named Russell Moore decided to start a patrol with his friends. The school soon became interested in scouting and presently a Mr A. Harrison, a master at Rondebosch, was sent to see what the Bishop's scouts were up to.
In August of 1909, he enlisted the help of Russell Moore and his patrol; on one fateful evening, 26 boys were invested into the troop at an event hosted by 1st and 2nd Claremont especially for the occasion. 2nd Rondebosch was born, and the small scouting flame lit on that magical evening has not gone out since!
In January of 1910, Scoutmaster Harrison wrote: "The Boys' High Rondebosch Troop has a total strength of 52, divided into 7 patrols. We are wearing green shirts with chocolate brown scarves." We still wear these uniforms today.
While initially the troop met at Rondebosch Boys', an alternate venue was soon sought due to the troop's desire to accept boys from other schools (including Bishops, whose troop would close down in later years). In 1914, becoming the first troop in South Africa to win it, our troop was presented with the King's Flag by the Governor General, Lord Gladstone. We were to hold it for 3 years, and from then onwards we were known as "The King's Troop, 2nd Rondebosch".
In 1928, through the fundraising efforts of numerous parents, boys and old-boys, the troop was able to purchase a sizeable plot of land in Lea Rd, Rondebosch and to finance the building of a memorial hall in memory of those old-boys who were killed during the Great War. The hall was officially opened in February of 1929 by the Governor General of the Cape, describing it as being "admirably suited to the purposes of Scouting". This it was, and we still meet in that very same hall today.
The world has undergone many shifts and changes since those early days. Through it all, however, our troop has continued to flourish, and every Thursday night, the familiar sound of youthful laughter and excitement can be heard drifting through the trees and out into the quiet neighbourhood of Rondebosch.